Thanks for checking out Two Man Advantage, an independent blog dedicated to covering the BU Terriers Men's Hockey Team. It is in no way affiliated with Boston University, Boston University Athletics, Hockey East or the NCAA. Enjoy.


Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Jack Parker Takes Pity on Pathetic Teams

USCHO.COM

"It’s not a good thing for the Beanpot if BU and BC win it all the time. The tournament loses some of its luster if it is always the same teams,” he said, acknowledging the cavalier attitude of those that refer to this tournament as the “BU Invitational.”


“You know who wants BU and BC every year? BU and BC! That’s it. People will get sick of it … no, people are sick of it.”


Parker’s comments mirrored those heard from college hockey fans across the country, who just don’t get the appeal of the Beanpot. The primary complaint is that two schools — Boston University and Boston College — rule the roost. And it is a deserved reputation, because you have to go back to 1993 before finding one of the other two teams winning the ‘Pot.

“I won three Beanpots as a player, and I always tell my players that I want them to feel what I felt,” Parker continued.



“But I want Harvard to know what it is like to win it. I want Northeastern to know what it is like. Maybe not on my watch — maybe not against us. But it will happen eventually, and it will be good for the health of the Beanpot when it does.

“And it won’t be long before it happens, with the way [Harvard coach] Teddy [Donato] and [Northeastern coach] Greg [Cronin] are coaching and recruiting.”

Man, I'll tell you what.  You know you own a tournament and all of your opponents when you have won so much that you can actually come out in public and say that you want them to feel what it's like to win. 

I clearly get where Parker is coming from on this one, as it has been well documented that there has never been a Beanpot Final void of both the Terriers and Eagles, and once the book is closed on the 2010 version of the tournament the two teams will have combined for 44 of 58 Beanpots.  Yes, it's obscene.

And while I'm never surprised that Jackie says exactly what is on his mind, I'm a bit surprised that he did say it.  I'm glad to see that he qualified his statement with "not on my watch" but nonetheless it seems to lack a bit of the killer instinct that fans want their coaching staff and players to have at all times.

But Parker's comments certainly ring true for some Boston sports fans, specifically Dan Shuaghnessy of The Boston Globe who says that he can't get excited over the Beanpot.  Granted, he blames the lack of local players for his lack of enthusiasm and general distaste for all things good in the world, but I'm sure he would be a little more pumped up about the process if it didn't seem so pre-determined.

Well, sorry Jack and Dan.  I am a fan of the Terriers, and I am excited.  And fans of the Huskies will show up for the consolation game just like they showed up for the BU-Harvard first round game and the BU-NU championship game last year.  They will be loud, even though their team isn't in it. 

And when the teams meet again, and we're busy shouting 1988 at the NU student section, I promise you that nobody on the BU side of the ice is going to be thinking, "Damn, I feel bad for these pesky little Huskies.  I wish they could have taken home the trophy."

It's sports.  If you want to win, then go out there and earn it.  Until then, I will not feel bad for you, I will not be any less excited about the Beanpot, and I absolutely will not stop heckling Northeastern fans.

0 comments: